FANDOM


  • How smart would you consider Dipper to be? I would consider him a near genius, meaning he is only a few IQ points shy of being considered a genius.

      Loading editor
    • He's a hella sly playa man.

      He's gotta be a 100% harvard boy.

        Loading editor
    • Anyone who can calculate a perfect path for a baseball to do what it did in "The Time Traveler's Pig" is a genius.

        Loading editor
    • I'll admit I was thrown off by Gideon saying Dipper had no brains in the finale. I always considered Gideon to be relatively dumb, just sneaky, crafty, and power-hungry.

        Loading editor
    • He's smarter then His Sister but if Alex hirsh made him dumb neither of the siblings hould of found the book.

        Loading editor
    • Gravitynaut wrote: I'll admit I was thrown off by Gideon saying Dipper had no brains in the finale. I always considered Gideon to be relatively dumb, just sneaky, crafty, and power-hungry.

      That's just Gideon being Gideon. He probably meant that he didn't have enough "brains" to win against him.

        Loading editor
    • I think he is a genius

        Loading editor
    • l wouldn't say that he's a genius, but he's pretty darn smart.

        Loading editor
    • What about the problem in the carnival

        Loading editor
    • Pretty smart. I'd say he gets all As.

        Loading editor
    • i would say he is pretty clever especially compared to the ones around him but sometimes his true age really shows and you realize he is a kid after all.

      plus we dont know how discriptive the journals are since they guide him, id say he is pretty smart but im not too sure about him in school, when they are first introduced he was shown playing video games (maybe the real reson his parents sent him to his uncle, to get fresh air and stuff) solving puzzels should be something he finds entertaining, something like school may seem a little boring for him.

      plus true geniuses are usually unrecognized for their genius in school, dipper strikes me as that type of person.

        Loading editor
    • Silverthewolf wrote:
      He's smarter then His Sister but if Alex hirsh made him dumb neither of the siblings hould of found the book.


      true, that is another important point, plus the series would be too annoying to have a protagonist that figures out the answers wayy after the audience already did

        Loading editor
    • Justafan94 wrote: How smart would you consider Dipper to be? I would consider him a near genius, meaning he is only a few IQ points shy of being considered a genius.

      I know people with IQ's in that range, and let me tell you, Dipper is clearly smarter than them. As others pointed out, "The Time Traveler's Pig" shows him doing some extremely complex equations. From what I can tell, he's working with quantum mechanics and relativity, which requires a firm understanding of high-level calculus. If he can do that at age 12, his IQ would be at least in the 160's--far higher than the genius minimum of 140.

        Loading editor
    • Dipper is pretty smart. He Figured out how to summon Bill. Figure out how to stop the ghosts in the episode the episode "The inconveniencing" so he's pretty dang smart.

        Loading editor
    • We don't know if he summoned Bill in Sock Opera yet.

      According to Alex Hirch on Reddit, Dipper is not a walking calculator. True that he is smarter than Mabel, but she's not stupid.

        Loading editor
    • Probably not quite as smart as he thinks he is, but he's still a very bright kid.

        Loading editor
    • i would say that dipper's iq is near 115 and mabel is around 90

        Loading editor
    • BlayAndHowlie wrote: i would say that dipper's iq is near 115 and mabel is around 90

      Isn't 90, like, retarded?

        Loading editor
    • Mr B Natural wrote:

      BlayAndHowlie wrote: i would say that dipper's iq is near 115 and mabel is around 90

      Isn't 90, like, retarded?

      90 is in the average range. Mental retardation refers to anyone with an IQ below 70.

      Personally, I think they're both higher than what Blay said.

        Loading editor
    • While this may be a discussion about Dipper's intelligence, what about his emotional well being?

      DO NOT READ ON IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN s2 e3 'Into the Bunker.'


      At the end of the episode Dipper's feelings for Wendy are revealed, but she gently tells him that she's too old for him, but values their friendship above all else. 

      My point is, that Dipper's feelings won't just go away, assuming they were strong to begin with, and three years isn't that much of an obstacle as an age devide. Once one hits their twenties three year differences don't matter. 

      I discuss this a bit in a thread I created: http://gravityfalls.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:98729

      Please read my thread and we can discuss this in detail. I love this show and its characters, and I find that I related to Dipper more than any other character. 

        Loading editor
    • According to a preview of "Little Gift Show of Horrors", Dipper could only recite 2 digits of pi. I found this to be odd, because of the math problem in 'The Time Traveler's Pig". I guess it will be either a continuity error or Dipper's intelligence eroding due to summer break.

        Loading editor
    • I figured the math equation was a joke more than anything. Dipper is no doubt an intelligent idividual, but I'm not sure that the math equation really means that much. Mathmatics takes a long time to master. 

        Loading editor
    • Thel Vadam4321 wrote:
      I figured the math equation was a joke more than anything. Dipper is no doubt an intelligent idividual, but I'm not sure that the math equation really means that much. Mathmatics takes a long time to master. 

      I agree that Dipper's intelligent, but him not being able to memorize pi to even 3.14 was odd.

        Loading editor
    • Justafan94 wrote: According to a preview of "Little Gift Show of Horrors", Dipper could only recite 2 digits of pi. I found this to be odd, because of the math problem in 'The Time Traveler's Pig". I guess it will be either a continuity error or Dipper's intelligence eroding due to summer break.

      Or that Mabel's craziness is starting to get to him.

        Loading editor
    • In the BBC Sherlock they have a scene where it is revealed that Sherlock didn't know that the Earth orbited the sun. Perhaps it is a similar joke. At anyrate, please don't spoil anything as I haven't been able to watch the latest episode yet. 

        Loading editor
    • Matteso586 wrote:

      Justafan94 wrote: According to a preview of "Little Gift Show of Horrors", Dipper could only recite 2 digits of pi. I found this to be odd, because of the math problem in 'The Time Traveler's Pig". I guess it will be either a continuity error or Dipper's intelligence eroding due to summer break.

      Or that Mabel's craziness is starting to get to him.

      Could be hormones diverting his brainpower. He is at that age.

        Loading editor
    • It is actually a hope of mine that they don't just throw away Dipper having feelings for Wendy. They had a good resolution and if they were only to remain good friends that would be satisfying, and it makes sense that she is incabable of seeing Dipper and Mable as anything other than kids. But, their age difference isn't that big. Once they hit their twenties it is no barrier. And I highly doubt that his feelings are just going to disappear over night. For the events of Gravity Falls, meaning that summer, they can be nothing other than friends, however, if Gravity Falls expands and continues after fulfilling Hirsch's vision I'd like to see these ideas be played upon by the writers. 

      Even during the summer events I thought it make for an interesting episode if a new character who Wendy likes is introduced and Dipper helps acts as her wingman because he wants her to be happy. His emotional turmoil over the secrets of Gravity Falls, Bill Cipher, and this development could all be shown to be taking their toll on him. 

      Part of it I suppose is that I relate to Dipper immensly. I really like the character and liken him unto myself. 

        Loading editor
    • Another idea I had is based on what we've been seeing of this so called Blind Eye Society. The fabled Illuminati Society has the symbol of the All Seeing Eye a.k.a. Bill Cipher. What if there are two societies? One on Bill's side and the other against? I have no evidence whatsoever to support this. It just seemed like an interesting possiblity to me. Will the secret societies prove allies or enemies? These are questions I hope will be answered in season 2.

        Loading editor
    • I've noticed that the Gravity Falls forum is much more quiet than the Halo Nation forums. 

        Loading editor
    • Thel Vadam4321 wrote:
      Another idea I had is based on what we've been seeing of this so called Blind Eye Society. The fabled Illuminati Society has the symbol of the All Seeing Eye a.k.a. Bill Cipher. What if there are two societies? One on Bill's side and the other against? I have not evidence whatsoever to support this. It just seemed like an interesting possiblity to me. Will the secret societies prove allies or enemies? These are questions I hope will be answered in season 2.

      That would be so cool!

        Loading editor
    • As of the latest episode, he admitted that he acts smarter than he is

        Loading editor
    • It may appear that some of the characters, namely Dipper and Wendy, maintain certain personality traits to cover up their insecurities. 

        Loading editor
    • I will also add that smarts is relative to how you want to define it. Dipper is undeniably very intelligent, but he may simply not be as knowledgeable as he'd like to be. 

      There are differences between knowledge, wisdom, and intelligence. Dipper is young and so may be very intelligent but somewhat lacking in wisdom and knowledege. Considering his young age that is to be expected. 

      I still love the character nonetheless. 

        Loading editor
    • 3.14 mirror PIE

        Loading editor
    • Thel Vadam4321 wrote:
      I will also add that smarts is relative to how you want to define it. Dipper is undeniably very intelligent, but he may simply not be as knowledgeable as he'd like to be. 

      There are differences between knowledge, wisdom, and intelligence. Dipper is young and so may be very intelligent but somewhat lacking in wisdom and knowledege. Considering his young age that is to be expected. 

      I still love the character nonetheless. 

      Well said

        Loading editor
    • You compared Dipper to Gideon and Mabel, but you failed to compare him to the other characters, whether main or minor.

      Gideon and Dipper, I would say, are at near the same 'place', 'rank', or 'plane' of intelligence. 

      Dipper obviously​​​  trumps Mabel book-wise, but Mabel is shown to have a 'think-out-of-the-box' mindset. Still, Dipper still is superior in intelligence; however, Mabel posses thinking which is also nessecary( I did not spell it right) for the 'Mystery Twins' to survive.

      Dipper's incredibly intelligent , I have to admit, but his intelligence is packaged with his curiousness and yet he is naive and unfortunately oblivious to some major things happening lying behind a certain snack machine. But, his curious ness is ,most of the time, lesser than his sister's, so I must not deduct points, especially if it doesn't have to deal intelligence as it is. But, his curiousness surpasses ,at certain times, his sister's and most of the time when it dies, it endangers the gang severely.

        Loading editor
    • Pizzachu wrote:
      You compared Dipper to Gideon and Mabel, but you failed to compare him to the other characters, whether main or minor.

      Gideon and Dipper, I would say, are at near the same 'place', 'rank', or 'plane' of intelligence. 

      Dipper obviously​​​  trumps Mabel book-wise, but Mabel is shown to have a 'think-out-of-the-box' mindset. Still, Dipper still is superior in intelligence; however, Mabel posses thinking which is also nessecary( I did not spell it right) for the 'Mystery Twins' to survive.

      Dipper's incredibly intelligent , I have to admit, but his intelligence is packaged with his curiousness and yet he is naive and unfortunately oblivious to some major things happening lying behind a certain snack machine. But, his curious ness is ,most of the time, lesser than his sister's, so I must not deduct points, especially if it doesn't have to deal intelligence as it is. But, his curiousness surpasses ,at certain times, his sister's and most of the time when it dies, it endangers the gang severely.

      And that's why they make such a great team!

        Loading editor
    • I prefer to enjoy watching the characters' interactions as opposed to ranking them in terms of intelligence or some other facet of being.

      Dipper is primarily an intellectual. Mabel is primarily a emotional being. Soos is good natured and has practical skill. Wendy is intutive and friendly. Stan...he's a con man. A loveable con man, but a con man all the same.

      Stan may also be starting something he cannot hope to control or comprehend. 

        Loading editor
    • Thel Vadam4321 wrote:

      Stan may also be starting something he cannot hope to control or comprehend. 

      File:DUN-DUN-DUUUUN!!! Sound Effect

        Loading editor
    • File:Dramatic Chipmunk
      if i knew how to photoshop i would put a fez and glasses on the chipmunk
        Loading editor
    • Oink Oinkie Oinky Oink Oink. [

        Loading editor
    • [My IQ Is A 53]

        Loading editor
    • In my opinion, Dipper is very "book smart" (I'd rather not use this term but I can't think of a better way to put it), proven multiple times but I think what really convinced me was the point that Rocksunner brought up about the baseball. People can be smart in different ways, and I believe that Dipper's strength lies in physics/science, not in math, so that was why he didn't know pi.

        Loading editor
    • Thel Vadam4321 wrote:
      I will also add that smarts is relative to how you want to define it. Dipper is undeniably very intelligent, but he may simply not be as knowledgeable as he'd like to be. 

      There are differences between knowledge, wisdom, and intelligence. Dipper is young and so may be very intelligent but somewhat lacking in wisdom and knowledege. Considering his young age that is to be expected. 

      I still love the character nonetheless. 

      This will be my final stand on the subject.

        Loading editor
    • The pi thing was in an episode were Stan wanted you to buy things and he attemted to sell them with fake stories. He tried to sell you a pig with a story in which dipper only knew 2 pi digits.

        Loading editor
    • Maybe.

        Loading editor
    • Darthzeke2263 wrote:
      What about the problem in the carnival

      that was simple fate. It didn't have much to do with Dipper being smart or dumb.

        Loading editor
    • Pizzachu wrote:
      You compared Dipper to Gideon and Mabel, but you failed to compare him to the other characters, whether main or minor.

      Gideon and Dipper, I would say, are at near the same 'place', 'rank', or 'plane' of intelligence. 

      Dipper obviously​​​  trumps Mabel book-wise, but Mabel is shown to have a 'think-out-of-the-box' mindset. Still, Dipper still is superior in intelligence; however, Mabel posses thinking which is also nessecary( I did not spell it right) for the 'Mystery Twins' to survive.

      Dipper's incredibly intelligent , I have to admit, but his intelligence is packaged with his curiousness and yet he is naive and unfortunately oblivious to some major things happening lying behind a certain snack machine. But, his curious ness is ,most of the time, lesser than his sister's, so I must not deduct points, especially if it doesn't have to deal intelligence as it is. But, his curiousness surpasses ,at certain times, his sister's and most of the time when it dies, it endangers the gang severely.

      Yeah, Mabel's got street smarts, and Dipper's got book smarts. Mabel likes to think up a plan immediately, but Dipper sort of puts more thought into it.

        Loading editor
    • This test does not show a true picture of mental potential. I know that students at Harvard use a different type of testing. The Stendhal test shows the level of intellectual development and growth potential. This test is used to determine the uniqueness of a person. It reminds me of anti-plagiarism https://ca.edubirdie.com/plagiarism-checker or a program that recognizes your fate. But this test helps to create a multi-factor picture.

        Loading editor
    • An anonymous contributor
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.

Fandom may earn an affiliate commission on sales made from links on this page.

Stream the best stories.

Fandom may earn an affiliate commission on sales made from links on this page.

Get Disney+