Tate McGucket was born the Fiddleford and Emma-May McGucket in Palo Alto, California. Tate was left in the care of his mother when his father left to become a research partner to Ford Pines in Gravity Falls, Oregon. Tate later followed his father to Gravity Falls, but by this time Fiddleford, now known locally as the deranged hillbilly "Old Man" McGucket, had lost much of his memories owing to repeated use of a Memory Gun to cope with the traumatic experience of working with Ford Pines. As his father's mental state continued to decline, Tate cut off most contact with his father and refused to offer comment when questioned by the local newspaper.
Tate McGucket first appears in "The Legend of the Gobblewonker," where he tries to discipline his father, the local kook, by spraying water on him. It was revealed that he and Old Man McGucket do not have a close relationship and have drifted apart, causing his father to construct the Gobblewonker robot to attract attention from him.
He next appears in the short "Tooth." He warns Dipper and Mabel about the bubbles in the lake water and told them if they see it, they needed to run. Dipper questions this warning, but Tate replies to get their camera out of the building.
In "Weirdmageddon 3: Take Back The Falls", Tate was freed and escapes with Manly Dan, Lazy Susan and the rest of the town's residents. During the end credits, it was revealed that Tate finally made amends with his father, Old Man McGucket, and starts visiting him again, as they are shown swimming in McGucket's pool at the latter's new home, Northwest Manor.
Tate appears to be young or middle aged man, with short, brown hair reaching down to the nape of his neck, covered by an olive green baseball cap. He wears his green baseball cap low; so much so as to obscure his eyes from view. He bears little resemblance to his father, Old Man McGucket, the only notable feature they share being a large nose. He wears a fairly simple uniform, consisting of a faded olive green polo shirt with a name-tag, a pair of brown pants worn unnecessarily high, held to such height by a black belt with a yellow buckle, and a pair of simple, black shoes with gray toes.
- Tate has demonstrated various traits of intelligence, which he clearly inherited from his father:
- In the Shmeb-you-unlocked page, it is revealed that he guesses the correct Oregon State Lottery numbers every year but doesn't tell anybody.
- He scored so high on the SATs that the grading machine exploded.
- He has the ability to predict the stock market and weather patterns.
- 102. "The Legend of the Gobblewonker"
- 103. "Headhunters" (no lines)
- 108. "Irrational Treasure" (no lines)
- 109. "The Time Traveler's Pig" (no lines)
- 5. "Tooth"
- 207. "Society of the Blind Eye" (pictured)
- 219. "Weirdmageddon 2: Escape From Reality" (no lines)
- 220. "Weirdmageddon 3: Take Back The Falls" (no lines)
"If you see bubbles on that lake, kid, run."
Click here to view this page's gallery.