This Forum has been archivedVisit the new Forums
I suggest banning trivia sections from this wikia. Generally it is useless, frequently redundant, and results in a messy page. They need constant checking and are thus a time sink. If something is important enough to say, it should be put in the main body of the article. Otherwise, it's not important enough.
Adventure Time's wikia page uses trivia sections. My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic does not (here is their official policy). In my opinion, the latter's articles are much better, partially as a result of their lack of trivia sections. Here are two examples: no trivia and trivia. You can see the difference fairly clearly.
I know some people like trivia sections, but they add little of value to articles and more often than not detract from the overall quality of them. Please take my suggestion into consideration. EvergreenFir 03:51, July 8, 2012 (UTC)
- Consider the following edit: here. All the trivia was redundant and/or pointless. EvergreenFir 03:55, July 8, 2012 (UTC)
Not all. --[[File:Tailsbye.gif]]PitsBrother143 Axel the Fox [[File:341919 photo.gif]]04:09, July 8, 2012 (UTC) I oppose. --[[File:Tailsbye.gif]]PitsBrother143 Axel the Fox [[File:341919 photo.gif]] 03:52, July 8, 2012 (UTC)
- Can you please give a reason for why you oppose it? Just wondering.
03:56, July 8, 2012 (UTC)
- Seriously Saber, get out of my head... I just typed a similar reply to this and hit Publish and BAM... edit conflict... :D EvergreenFir 03:57, July 8, 2012 (UTC)
I oppose because no matter what, people are gonna keep adding it if we remove them, so it seems like to much trouble to just keep removing it after they add it. --[[File:Tailsbye.gif]]PitsBrother143 Axel the Fox [[File:341919 photo.gif]] 04:08, July 8, 2012 (UTC)
- In the few months I've been on MLP:FiM's wikia page, I've seen trivia section added 2 times. Each time, the trivia was either removed or incorporated into the article by an admin. I have spent more time cleaning trivia on Adventure Time than removing it from MLP:FiM. EvergreenFir 04:54, July 8, 2012 (UTC)
- That your reason for your objection is not a sound one in my experience. Takes more time to maintain it than it does to enforce a ban. EvergreenFir 04:57, July 8, 2012 (UTC)
Are you suggesting that we remove trivia from all pages? I don't think we need trivia on character pages because like you said, it is usually redundant. However, we usually don't have a problem with it on the episode pages. It's actually pretty informative there.
13:19, July 8, 2012 (UTC)
I feel that trivia should not be removed but it should b less in quantity and much much better in quality maybe only 2 or 3 on character pages and 4 or 5 on episode pages and 1 or 2 on objects, Good trivia would be like "Dipper was the first person to ever speak in Gravity Falls" and "Mabel wears a sweater every episode". Bad Trivia is like "Mabel likes vampires" or "Dipper enjoys exploding hotdogs" Tuckyd! Says Hi 13:25, July 8, 2012 (UTC)
"Frequently Redundant" Trivia is only redundant if you let it be. Removing it all together isn't all to good of an idea. The majority of readers enjoy trivia. We should just keep it in moderation and watch out and remove any bad or useless trivia. Redskin talk
Day by day, I am starting to agree with you more and more Evergreen. There's just so much useless trivia that I don't know if it's worth it, when factoring in page organization and cleanliness. I see trivia as the "throw everything that doesn't belong anywhere else here" type of place, which I don't like.
04:28, July 21, 2012 (UTC)
- Most wikis have that type of thing, though. It's sort of a fun facts section. Yeah, it doesn't serve any real purpose, but hey, you must learn something you didn't know. It can be good if we make it good, or bad if we make it bad. But it is not inherently a bad thing. A Light Shining in the Darkness - Talk - Dancing Shadows 04:00, July 22, 2012 (UTC)
- EF, don't use banning trivia as an option because your lazy about it, seize the opportunity to fix the page. Trivia Stays. Tuckyd! Says Hi 04:30, July 22, 2012 (UTC)
- I dont think removing it is a good idea.....i dont know why.Darthwatch789 01:53, September 1, 2012 (UTC)
- p.s. facts or note would work better i guess. i dont know why
Keep the Trivia sections. Every piece of information is important, for future knowledge and etc. There are many facts that editors just can't fit into the page, and instead place it in the Trivia sections. I think Trivia sections are good, because than readers don't have to read an entire page to find one fact! A Trivia section makes it easy, well organized, and great to find trivia on the article. -- User:Feey1 I am FEEY1. Speak to me! 02:50, September 10, 2012 (UTC)
In my opinion, trivia should stay. As said above, Trivia has many small bits of information that people may never know about. And yes, some is redundant and unneccessary, but those unneeded parts can be removed. And they only make an article look messy if they are random facts not pertaining to the article itself. - Guezz_WUT24