"Between the Pines" is a behind the scenes special hosted by Alex Hirsch and the Time Baby. It aired at 8 P.M. on February 8, 2016, on Disney XD and also aired at 9:30 P.M. on February 12, 2016, on Disney Channel. It was repeated on March 26 at 9 PM on Disney XD as a "special Post Finale Edition," with footage from "Weirdmageddon 3:Take Back the Falls" inserted.
This is a 22-minute special hosted by the Time Baby, who, claiming to have abducted Alex Hirsch, asks him to give exclusive facts and information about Gravity Falls, featuring special commentary from Hirsch himself.
In the following conversation between Hirsch and the Time Baby, Hirsch gives out some hidden hints of the storyline, including the cryptograms, some trivial codes hidden in various scenes, and some explanations of the plot.
In the end credits, clips of Tyler saying "Git em'" is shown, to the point to when Alex asks if they're not going to send this and then leaves. Note: since this is a behind the scenes special, there is no end cryptogram.
This segment is 60 seconds of Alex talking about supporting characters.
Wheel of Secrets
- Blood or Jam?: In "Tourist Trapped," it is jam on Norman's face. The previous gnome queen had recently died, and as part of her funeral ceremony, the gnomes ate bereavement jam.
- The Bear Bear: The original name for the Multi-Bear, specifically so that Dipper could say "There, there, Bear Bear."
- Blendin's hair: Blendin is bald because his constant time traveling causes his hair to catch on fire.
- McGucket's songs: in "The Legend of the Gobblewonker," a song was written for McGucket to sing about the Gobblewonker. The song was cut due to being too long and McGucket being "a terrible singer."
- Stan's science fair project in "A Tale of Two Stans" is a football robot called "Footbot," which is a dream he has had for a very long time.
There were several topics on the wheel that were not discussed:
- Mabel's Secret
- Dipper's Name
- Missing clones (This most likely refers to Tracey and Quattro)
- Mrs. Corduroy
- Grenda's Book
- The Teens
- Mr. and Mrs. Pines
- The Northwests
- Priscilla Northwest was Miss Mudflap ~1985. This was how Preston met her.
- The writing team considered revealing that Gideon Gleeful's big hair concealed his malformed twin, but that idea was shelved.
- Bill Cipher was originally going to be green, but they thought it looked too much like a leaf.
- Time Baby commented that he now looks like a nacho, alluding to the common fan joke that Bill resembles a Dorito.
- Time Baby has no object permanence.
- There is a resemblance in Dipper and Mabel's names. This was later fully revealed in the real life Journal 3, when Dipper's real name was mentioned.
- Clips from almost every episode are used.
- The Zodiac was shown again, in the same style from "The Last Mabelcorn."
- Secrets and ciphers throughout the series are pointed out and discussed.